Support St. Jude Children's Research HospitalÃÂ® with AOL and about.me
Dec 1, 2011
The holidays are a time for giving. So there is no better time than now to use your about.me page to support St. Jude Children's Research Hospital. And AOL will donate $1 for every page created or updated to support St. Jude (up to 10,000 pages). Details on the program below, but first, here's why we support St. Jude.
"No child should die in the dawn of life."
These are famous words from St. Jude founder and entertainer Danny Thomas, who opened St. Jude in 1962 with the intention of helping children of all races, backgrounds and religions. At AOL and about.me, we have a deep respect for the amazing impact Danny Thomas has had on children around the world.
No family ever pays St. Jude for care.
St. Jude also covers the cost of travel, housing and meals for each patient and a family member.
"Today, the childhood survival rate for cancer has increased to more than 80%"
But this wasn't always the case. Working together under one roof, St. Jude physicians and scientists have pioneered treatments that have helped push the overall survival rates for childhood cancers from less than 20 percent when the hospital opened in 1962 to 80 percent today. The survival rate for the most common form of childhood cancer, acute lymphoblastic leukemia, has risen from just 4 percent in 1962 to 94 percent today.
What AOL does to help
AOL is a key partner for St. Jude, donating millions in in-kind donations since we began supporting St. Jude in 2006. This year, we donated 20 mobile computing carts so the children can stay in touch with their friends and families. One St. Jude patient used one of the computer labs to Skype with her family back home in Jordan, who could not make it to Memphis to be with her.
What you can do to help
We've created two new background images and added them to Gallery Backgrounds. If you have already have an about.me page, change your background image to one featuring St. Jude and share with your friends on Facebook, Twitter and your email address book. Or, create a new page to raise awareness for the cause with one of the new background images. For every page that is made to support St. Jude, AOL will donate $1 (up to $10,000).
Here's what one page looks like:
Here's how you can support St. Jude Children's Research Hospital:
1. Create an about.me page (if you don't have one already)
2. Change you background to a St. Jude Image (in your image gallery)
3. Update your headline to: "Join me to help St. Jude Children's Research Hospital Find Cures and Save Children"
4. In you bio – write a statement about why you support St. Jude
5. Add a custom URL to your services section that links to the St. Jude fundraising page: https://shop.stjude.org/GiftCatalog/donation.do?cID=13805&pID=19012&sc_cid=tgbnn73&tngsourcecode=THWAOLDO12&plt=THWAOLDO198
6. Share it with your friends and family
7. Share on Twitter, copy in @aboutdotme and @stjude
8. Post on Facebook, tag aboutdotme and stjude
9. Email it to your address book: about.me/share
Please join us in supporting this great organization and cause. And if you know anyone who you think would be interested in supporting St. Jude Children's Research Hospital, please forward this post to them.
Or, you can also help us support St. Jude by Donating Now!
(This post originally ran on the about.me Blog.)