MapQuest Launches Redesigned Mobile App for iPhone and Android
Nov 14, 2013
New Mobile App Offers a Seamless, Customizable and Driver-Friendly Navigation Experience for Drivers
DENVER, Colo. (November 14, 2013) – MapQuest is taking the stress out of everyday road travel with its completely redesigned mobile navigation app for iPhone iOS7* and Android. Launching today, the new MapQuest mobile app offers a seamless, customizable and driver-friendly navigation experience for people looking to get to their destinations faster and more efficiently.
The new MapQuest mobile app for iPhone and Android offers several new features, including:
- High resolution vector maps offer improved quality and resolution, enhanced zoom features and beautiful new cartography
- New interactive map layers and customizable category buttons make finding nearby business and popular locations easy
- An industry first ETA status bar informs users of time and distance to their destination, as well as anticipated in-route traffic
- Advanced navigation features including voice-guided, turn-by-turn navigation and real-time traffic re-routing
- One-click point of interest and location sharing via social media, SMS or email
With over 40 million monthly users, the new MapQuest mobile app was designed to offer a personalized navigation experience that's both easy-to-use and convenient for everyday drivers.
Ease of use:
- With the new ETA status bar, drivers always know exactly when they'll hit traffic and exactly where it will end
- Drivers can easily find addresses and locations with less typing, and quickly share destinations with friends and family
- The one-click navigation mute button allows drivers to quickly silence voice-guided navigation
- New customized map layers allows drivers to create shortcuts to their favorite places
- The new "Home" and "Work" buttons allow drivers to get directions from anywhere with one-click
- The new ETA status bar means no more checking for traffic by pinching and zooming on the screen while driving
- Advanced audio prompts mean less interaction with the phone while driving
- The new mini maneuver prompt means drivers always know the next, next step
"Earlier this year, our product and engineering teams went back to the drawing board and completely redesigned the MapQuest iPhone and Android mobile app from scratch," said Brian McMahon, MapQuest general manager. "By leveraging years of driving and navigation information, as well as extensive user testing, we were able to create a mobile app that better connects drivers to the routes that shape their everyday lives."
With the launch of its new mobile app, MapQuest is establishing a new standard for the types of products consumers can expect from the brand in the future – beautiful, easy-to-use and intelligent. The app also paves the way for the site's continued evolution with additional innovations and improvements coming to all aspects of the brand, including MapQuest.com. In 2014 consumers can expect more travel integrations and a continued focus on ensuring that all products have a world-class design and value proposition for our everyday consumers.
*The new Apple® MapQuest mobile app is available only on the iOS 7 platform and is specifically designed to compliment this particular mobile environment. It takes advantage of the operating system's new design elements and enhanced performance, and enables MapQuest to continually evolve the app at an accelerated pace.
MapQuest provides Internet, mobile and business solutions the help people accomplish everyday challenges from afternoon errands to epic adventures. MapQuest is a leading online mapping brand that reaches over 40 million users, including 14 million on mobile and tablet*. MapQuest products are compatible with a variety of mobile devices, including Windows, Android and iPhone. MapQuest, Inc., a wholly owned subsidiary of AOL Inc, is based in Denver, Colo.