MapQuest Overhauls Local Offering with Multiple Data-service Partnerships and Integrations
DENVER (April 9, 2014) – On the eve of its 18th anniversary, MapQuest, Inc., the pioneer of online maps and directions, today launched a completely reimagined experience for local discovery, a nod to nearly two decades of enhancing local experiences for millions of travelers every day. Available on desktop and tablet website, MapQuest's new local experience delivers relevant details, handy functionality and valuable reviews from trusted partners to create a single source for in-depth, local information.
In approaching a more robust local discovery experience, MapQuest partnered with top data providers and included publicly available government data sources to create the most relevant information set, including:
- Foursquare: Providing venue tips*
- GrubHub: Access to online and mobile ordering from more than 28,000 takeout restaurants
- SinglePlatform: Menus and product information for hundreds of thousands of local businesses
- Booker: Scheduling functionality for more than 40 business types including spasand salons
- SeatGeek: Ticketing for more than 180,000 events at 50,000 venues
- Federal Aviation Administration (FAA): Airport status information such as ground stops and average airport delays made publicly available by the FAA
- Airports are the No. 1 queried search on MapQuest.com
MapQuest leads the industry with patented algorithms that determine what information is pertinent and how it is served. These information sources complement MapQuest's existing partners, including Priceline Partner Network and OpenTable. As a result of its newly announced partnership with MLB.com, MapQuest will also be creating enriched stadium pages within the new MapQuest local experiences where users can also download MapQuest's customized team kits**. This enhanced experience mirrors the newly relaunched MLB.com "At the Ballpark" app where all directions are powered by MapQuest creating a simplified and cohesive user experience.
"For 18 years, MapQuest has served as a true travel partner for our users providing everything from maps and directions to suggestions on what's close by," said Brian McMahon, general manager, MapQuest. "More than 70 percent of the 5 million routes on MapQuest each day are for end destinations less than 50 miles away. That means people are using our tool not just to get there, but to decide where 'there' will be and what else they can do once they arrive."
Do More: What the Newly Improved MapQuest Offers Users
- Order online or book a restaurant reservation
- Book a wide-range of service appointments ... even for a pet
- Search and secure an event ticket
- Book travel via MapQuest's booking widget
- Find airport delay information, concourse maps and terminal information
- Take advantage of great local deals
- Find user reviews, ratings and tips
"We believe we've created a truly intuitive one-stop shop for all the relevant information a consumer may need – the right information, at the right time, in the right place," said Elizabeth McIlhany, principal product manager, MapQuest. "This is a game-changer for current and new MapQuest users who are looking for that one resource to save them time and better empower their decisions."
*Foursquare tips to be integrated in mid-2014.
**MLB.com integration currently available; expanded content scheduled to debut in mid-2014.
About MapQuest, Inc.
MapQuest provides Internet, mobile and business solutions delivering on the promise of helping people dream, plan, share and go wherever the map meets their life. MapQuest is one of the leading mapping brands online, reaching 25.4 million web users and 13.8 million mobile and tablet users, with 3.9 million users across devices in February 2014, according to comScore Media Metrix MultiPlatform. MapQuest's mobile solutions are compatible with a variety of mobile devices, including iPhone and Android devices. MapQuest, Inc., a wholly owned subsidiary of AOL Inc. (NYSE: AOL), is based in Denver, Colo.