AOL Sites Expand Audience Reach in May
AOL.com Up 23% in Unique Visitors
New York, NY – June 18, 2009 – AOL's MediaGlow sites continued to expand their year-over-year consumer reach in May, with unique visitors climbing 5% to reach an all-time high 76.3 million, according to May 2009 comScore Media Metrix data. MediaGlow, http://www.mediaglow.com, is AOL's publishing unit. AOL also expanded internationally in May, launching a revamped AOL homepage, http://www.aol.co.uk/newhomepage, and ParentDish, http://www.parentdish.co.uk, both in the UK.
"We are focused on delivering the most valuable and relevant interactive experiences to consumers on the Web and mobile devices, and reaching an all-time high demonstrates that consumers are clearly responding," said Bill Wilson, President, MediaGlow. "From our homepages, to our general interest sites, to our growing stable of very targeted niche sites, our high-quality content is attracting a growing audience of engaged users."
Highlights from May include:
AOL.com homepages, http://www.aol.com, grew 23% in unique visitors year-over-year, reaching 40.6 million in May. Last year, AOL.com opened up to third-party content and services.
PoliticsDaily, http://www.politicsdaily.com, which focuses on political news and opinion, reached 2.4 million unique visitors in just its first full month, becoming the number one ranked political site.
AOL Living, http://living.aol.com, saw unique visitors climb 5% year-over-year, to reach 17 million. AOL Living includes StyleList, http://www.stylelist.com, ParentDish, http://www.parentdish.com, AOL Health, http://aolhealth.com, AOL Food, http://www.food.aol.com, AOL Home, http://home.aol.com, and Lemondrop, http://www.lemondrop.com, among others.
Unique visitors to the AOL Entertainment network - which includes AOL Music, http://music.aol.com, Moviefone, http://www.moviefone.com, AOL Television, http://www.aoltv.com, BlackVoices, http://blackvoices.com, Asylum, http://www.asylum.com, Urlesque, http://www.urlesque.com, and others - grew 14% year-over-year, reaching more than 39 million. In May, it launched Where It's At, http://www.whereitsat.com, a site that lets users find iconic pop culture landmarks.
The AOL Technology Network – which includes Engadget, http://www.engadget.com, Switched, http://www.switched.com, TUAW (The Unofficial Apple Weblog), http://www.tuaw.com, DownloadSquad, http://www.downloadsquad.com, and others - grew unique visitors by 35% year-over-year.
AOL products also grew unique visitors in May. AOL's leading video search engine, Truveo.com, http://truveo.com, for example, saw a year-over-year increase of 217%.
Many AOL sites continue to appear in the top five in their categories for unique visitors:
• #1 Music: Music, http://music.aol.com
• #1 Politics: PoliticsDaily, http://www.politicsdaily.com
• #2 Television: Television, http://www.aoltv.com
• #2 Maps: MapQuest, http://mapquest.com
• #2 IM: AIM, http://www.aim.com
• #2 Business-News/Research: Money & Finance, http://money.aol.com
• #2 Entertainment-News: TMZ, http://tmz.com
• #2 Home: AOL Home, http://home.aol.com
• #3 E-mail: AOL E-mail, http://webmail.aol.com
• #3 Real Estate: Real Estate, http://realestate.aol.com
• #3 Lifestyles: AOL Living, http://living.aol.com
• #4 Movies: Moviefone.com, http://moviefone.com
• #4 News: News, http://news.aol.com
• #4 Radio: Radio, http://aolradio.com
• #4 Greetings: Greetings, http://greetings.aol.com
• #5 Food: Food, http://food.aol.com
• #5 Health: Health, http://aolhealth.com
• #5 Search: Search Network, http://search.aol.com
• #5 Local: AOL Local, http://cityguide.aol.com
The following MediaGlow sites also rank in the top five in their AOL custom-built categories for unique visitors, according to May 2009 comScore Media Metrix data:
• #1 African American: BlackVoices, http://blackvoices.com
• #1 Country Music Site: TheBoot, http://theboot.com
• #1 Hip-Hop Music: TheBoomBox, http://theboombox.com
• #1 Men: Asylum, http://asylum.com
• #1 Pets: PawNation, http://www.pawnation.com
• #1 Style: StyleList, http://stylelist.com
• #1 Women's Blogs: Lemondrop, http://www.lemondrop.com
• #1 Rock Music Site: Spinner, http://www.spinner.com
• #2 Video Search: Truveo, http://www.truveo.com
• #3 Horoscopes: Horoscopes, http://horoscopes.aol.com
• #3 Latino: Latino, http://latino.aol.com
• #4 Web Culture: Urlesque, http://www.urlesque.com
• #4 Homepages: AOL Homepages, http://www.aol.com
NOTE: All data are from the May 2009 comScore Media Metrix report. MediaGlow's overall unique visitor count is based on a custom comScore list based on AOL's Content, Homepages and Commerce/Marketplace categories. The AOL Entertainment network is a custom-built category.
AOL is a global Web services company that operates some of the most popular Web destinations, offers a comprehensive suite of free software and services runs one of the largest Internet access businesses in the U.S., and provides a full set of advertising solutions. A majority-owned subsidiary of Time Warner Inc., AOL LLC and its subsidiaries have operations in the U.S., Europe, Canada and Asia. Learn more at AOL.com.